Frequent Questions

Hydraulic fracturing (or fracking) is the injection of fluid under pressure to facilitate the production of oil and natural gases. Does EPA maintain a map or list of all hydraulic fracturing sites across the country?

No. EPA does not track the location of hydraulic fracturing sites. Some states may regulate this activity as part of their underground injection control (UIC) program and would know their locations. State UIC contacts are available at If a state does not regulate this activity under its UIC program, the state agency that regulates drilling and related activities should be contacted. Links to state agency Web sites are available at
Have more questions? Submit a request