Frequent Questions

Does the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) apply to offshore rigs , assuming they meet the definition of a public water system and do not meet all the coverage conditions found in 40 CFR 141.3?

EPA's regulatory authority under SDWA extends to the US only but certain laws define the scope of "US" in this context. The UIC regulatory program extends offshore through State territorial waters (generally 3 nautical miles). In contrast, under the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act, the PWS program extends to any fixtures (not ships) within the Outer Continental Shelf (generally 200 nautical miles offshore). Thus, drinking water for offshore rigs is regulated under SDWA if it is provided to 25 or more persons, if it is within the Outer Continental Shelf, and if it is not bottled water. The Act would not apply to rigs located outside the Outer Continental Shelf.
Have more questions? Submit a request