Frequent Questions

My well water tested positive for E. coli. What measures can I take to protect myself?

If your well tests positive for E. coli, you should boil the water for at least one minute at a rolling boil before drinking it. You may also disinfect the well according to procedures recommended by your local health department.  After disinfection, you can monitor your water periodically to make certain that the problem does not recur.  If the contamination is a recurring problem, you should install a point-of-entry disinfection unit, which can use chlorine, ultraviolet light, or ozone, or investigate the feasibility of drilling a new well. 

For more information, take a look at our basic information on E. coli  or visit our Private Drinking Water Wells website.

Have more questions? Submit a request