Frequent Questions

5. How does trichloroethylene get into my drinking water?

The major source of trichloroethylene in drinking water is discharge from metal degreasing sites and other factories. Wastewater from metal finishing, paint and ink formulation, electrical components, and rubber processing industries may also contain trichloroethylene.

A federal law called the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act (EPCRA) requires facilities in certain industries, which manufacture, process, or use significant amounts of toxic chemicals, to report annually on their releases of these chemicals. For more information on the uses and releases of chemicals in your state, contact the Community Right-to-Know Hotline: (800) 424-9346.

Have more questions? Submit a request