Frequent Questions

6. How will I know if radionuclides, like alpha particles, are in my drinking water?

When routine monitoring indicates that radionuclides levels are above the MCL, your water supplier must take steps to reduce the amount of radionuclides so that it is below that level.  Water suppliers must notify their customers as soon as practical or within 30 days after a violation occurs. Additional actions, such as providing alternative drinking water supplies, may be required to decrease risks to public health.

See EPA's public notification requirements for public water systems.

If your water comes from a household well, check with your health department or local water systems that use ground water for information on contaminants of concern in your area.

For more information on wells, go to EPA'S website on private wells.

Have more questions? Submit a request