Frequent Questions

5. How does 1,1,1-trichloroethane get into my drinking water?

The major source of 1,1,1-trichloroethane in drinking water is discharge from metal degreasing and other factories.

A federal law called the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act (EPCRA) requires facilities in certain industries, which manufacture, process, or use significant amounts of toxic chemicals, to report annually on their releases of these chemicals. For more information on the uses and releases of chemicals in your state, contact the Community Right-to-Know Hotline: (800) 424-9346.

Have more questions? Submit a request