EPA published the Aircraft Drinking Water Rule in 2009 to facilitate safe drinking water for passengers and crew.
The major components of the rule are:
- Developing and implementing operations and maintenance plans and coliform sampling plans.
- Routine disinfection and flushing based on manufacturer recommendations and routine monitoring.
- Self-inspection of the aircraft water system every five years.
- Corrective action in response to sample results or other situations that may be a public health risk.
- Public notification in response to situations that may be a public health risk.
- Periodic compliance audits by EPA.