Frequent Questions

Why does EPA need to see my E.coli lab certification before I'm registered in DCTS?

LT2 requires PWSs to have E. coli samples analyzed by laboratories that are certified to conduct total or fecal coliform analysis in drinking water (i.e. under 40 CFR 141.74) by EPA, NELAC, or the state.  Therefore, laboratories certified under 141.74 (the SWTR) are approved to analyze E. coli samples under LT2.  EPA has also determined that laboratories certified by EPA, NELAC or the State to enumerate for total coliform, fecal coliform, and/or E. coli analysis under other drinking water certification programs, such as those required under 40 CFR Sec. 141.21 (Total Coliform Rule), are also acceptable.  However, an enumerative result is required under LT2, rather than presence/absence under TCR. EPA has learned that some states only certify labs under 141.28 (lab cert)/141.21(TCR) for presence/absence analyses, rather than enumerative methods while others certify for both. Therefore, EPA must verify that the lab is certified to enumerate E. Coli before the lab can be registered for the DCTS.

Have more questions? Submit a request