Frequent Questions

What type of funding is available to assist systems in complying with the Long Term 2 Enhanced Surface Water Treatment Rule (LT2ESWTR) requirements?

Funding may be available from programs administered by EPA and other Federal agencies. EPA developed the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF) to assist systems with financing the costs of infrastructure needed to achieve or maintain compliance with SDWA requirements. Through the DWSRF, EPA awards capitalization grants to States, which in turn can provide low-cost loans and other types of assistance to eligible systems. Funding may also be available for qualified systems from the Department of Agriculture?s Rural Utility Service (RUS) and Housing and Urban Development?s Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program. RUS provides loans, guaranteed loans, and grants to improve, repair, or construct water supply and distribution systems in rural areas and towns of up to 10,000 people. The CDBG program includes direct grants to States, which in turn are awarded to smaller communities, rural areas, and colonias in Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Texas and direct grants to U.S. territories and trusts. Basic information about the Long Term 2 Rule is available at
Have more questions? Submit a request