Frequent Questions

5. How do radionuclides, like Radium (combined), get into my drinking water?

Certain rock types have naturally occurring trace amounts of "mildly radioactive" elements (radioactive elements with very long half-lives) that serve as the "parent" of other radioactive contaminants ("daughter products"). These radioactive contaminants, depending on their chemical properties, may accumulate in drinking water sources at levels of concern. The "parent radionuclide" often behaves very differently from the new element, the "daughter radionuclide" in the environment.

A federal law called the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act (EPCRA) requires facilities in certain industries, which manufacture, process, or use significant amounts of toxic chemicals, to report annually on their releases of these chemicals. For more information on the uses and releases of chemicals in your state, contact the: Community Right-to-Know Hotline: (800) 424-9346.

Have more questions? Submit a request