Frequent Questions

5. How do I learn more about disinfectant byproducts, like HAA5, and my drinking water?

EPA strongly encourages people to learn more about their drinking water, and to support local efforts to protect the supply of safe drinking water and upgrade the community water system. Your water bill or telephone book’s government listings are a good starting point for local information.

Contact your water utility. EPA requires all community water systems to prepare and deliver an annual consumer confidence report (CCR) (sometimes called a water quality report) for their customers by July 1 of each year. If your water provider is not a community water system, or if you have a private water supply, request a copy from a nearby community water system.

 The CCR summarizes information regarding sources used (i.e., rivers, lakes, reservoirs, or aquifers), detected contaminants, compliance and educational information.
 Some water suppliers have posted their annual reports on EPA’S website.

Have more questions? Submit a request
  • Avatar
    Rex Irby

    Some water reports are much more thourough than others and some use unit of measures different from others mg/L vers ug/L versus ppm and ppb , EPA should require all CCR's to be in the same unit of measure for each specific contaminant. (Chromium and its entourage are a perfect example of misleading between ppm and ppb) All reports should include a "non-detected"section as some are silent on what was not detected and not giving true disclosure. Periods of time should be required on key contaminants that exceed their local system wide averages (like HAA5 aand TTHM)