After an advisory or notice has been lifted (if contamination of the water system did occur), you should flush household pipes, ice makers, water fountains, etc. prior to using for drinking or cooking. Flushing simply means letting the water run to ensure that no contaminated water remains in your pipes. Follow these guidelines for flushing:
* Run all cold water faucets in your home for one minute
* To flush automatic ice makers, make three batches of ice and discard
* Run water softeners through a regeneration cycle
* Run drinking water fountains for one minute
* Run water coolers with direct water connections for five minutes.
Your water system should provide guidance on what you should do after the ban is lifted. However, here are some guidelines.