Frequent Questions

Is there any place where I can take back my unwanted medicine or supplement, such as the pharmacy where I bought it?

The Agency encourages the use of local drug take back programs as a good way to get rid of your unwanted medicines. Call your city or county government's household trash and recycling service and ask if a drug take-back program is available in your community. Some household hazardous waste programs accept unwanted and expired medicines. Contact your local Household Hazardous Waste Program to check. Additionally, the Web site posts locations in the United States where consumers can drop off unused and expired medications. Lastly, keep your ears open and look in your local newspaper, many local take-back events are advertised locally. Most, if not all pharmacies, cannot accept unwanted or expired controlled substances for disposal.
Have more questions? Submit a request