You should not dispose of medicines and supplements into the drain or flush them down the toilet, unless specifically instructed by the medicine's packaging. (click here for guidance if you no longer have the packaging) Follow these steps to properly dispose of unwanted or expired medicines, vitamins and supplements:
1. Take your prescription drugs out of their original containers.
2. Mix drugs with an undesirable substance, such as cat litter, used coffee grounds, saw dust, spoiled food, cayenne pepper or anything that is unpalatable. Why do I need to do this?
3. Put this mixture into a disposable container with a lid, such as an empty margarine tub, or into a sealable bag.
4. Conceal or remove any personal information, including Rx number, on the empty containers by covering it with black permanent marker or duct tape, or by scratching it off.
5. Place the sealed container with the mixture, and the empty drug containers, in the trash.